I feared I'd only get a few responses and that most would consist of, "Yeah, credit score, calories." I ended up getting responses from almost 60 friends, each with great lists of numbers from their personal lives, profession, child-raising, health, and so on.
Some examples by category:
- Finance: Credit score, account balance, interest rate, stock prices
- Health and well-being: Weight, blood glucose, cholesterol, dosages, hours slept, number of minutes of meditation
- Library: Dewey decimal system, number of stacks, linear feet of storage space, barcodes galore
- Alcohol: Beverages consumed, alcohol by volume, IBUs, gravity degrees plato, blood alcohol content
- Fitness tracking: Steps, miles, heart rate, pace, laps, reps
- Healthcare: Number of meds passed, patient satisfaction score, Medicare diagnosis-related group
- Childcare: Number of minutes on iPad, hours slept, diapers, formula measurements
The descriptions ranged from numbers that count things, numbers that categorize things, and numbers that fall on a continuum. More than one person commented that this was a fun brainstorming exercise.
So now, readers, I look to you. What numbers do you encounter regularly? It doesn't have to be every day, just the types of numbers that are part of your life - whether at home, work, the gym, or the bar. And remember: There are no wrong answers in brain storming!
(Note: I've checked my comment settings so hopefully they should work for you to add your numbers below. You shouldn't have to have a Google login to comment. You're also welcome to provide your numbers as a reply to this post in Facebook groups.)